Before You Start
Remove the backbone by cutting through the rib bones with a kitchen shears. Turn the chicken breast side up and push down to flatten.
1. In a small bowl combine the 8 ingredients to make the rub.
2. Coat the chicken with the spice and herb rub, front and back, and under the skin on the thighs and breasts.
3. Arrange the lemon slices on the bottom of an ovensafe cast iron or roasting pan.
4. Place the chicken, breast side up, in the pan.
5. Insert the probe into the thickest part of the thigh.
6. Place the pan into the oven and plug the probe into the port.
7. Set the oven to Gourmet Mode and choose “meat”, “poultry”, “whole bird”, “under 12", “unbrined”. The oven will cook the chicken on Convection Roast until the probe alert indicates it has reached the internal temperature of 82°C.
8. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting.