Hearty Oat Bread
This is our favorite everyday bread, whether you need sandwiches for school lunches or a loaf to accompany your beef stew or white chicken chili. Be patient: you’ll have to let it proof four times to achieve the very best flavor and texture.
- Whisk together water, oats, milk, oil, and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer and let sit until oats soften, about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, salt, and yeast. Add flour mixture to the soaking oats.
- Using the dough hook, knead dough for 5–7 minutes on medium-low speed. Transfer dough to greased bowl, cover, and let proof for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, gently stretch and fold dough in half, then in half again. Transfer dough back to greased bowl, cover, and let proof for an additional 45 minutes.
- After proofing a second time, repeat the folding process. Transfer folded dough back into the greased bowl, cover, and let proof for 1 hour.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Gently cut the dough in half and shape each half into an oval. Transfer loaves onto parchment-lined, lightly floured solid pan. Cover loosely and let dough proof for 15 minutes.
- Lightly score each loaf with a serrated knife. Slide pan into oven at rack position “2.” Select Bread and Pastry, and Classic and set temperature to 375°F. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and transfer loaves to a wire rack to cool completely.